Monday, April 18, 2005

Sony - the latest perpetrator of high blood pressure

Bought a new universal remote control last week. It's a beaut - a Sony RM VL-1000. Controls 12 devices, LCD screen, joystick - really nice. Controls all of my entertainment center, except for one unit - my 80-hour TIVO DVR (only $99 for a limited time!)- the one device whose remote I use the most! The component code booklet lists "DVR", and under DVR there are two entries - Tivo, and Replay. Under Tivo, there are two codes - Sony (of course), and Philips. Guess what - nothing about Tivo itself. Tried both codes, neither works.
So, I thought Sony might be able to help. Go to docs.sony.com, look for the code booklet - it turns out to be a UK version of the booklet (it lists an analogue satellite receiver, but no Tivo).
So I go to "Contact Support", find their handy "Chat" button, and here are the transcripts of my conversation with a complete moron:
LiveAssist Transcript
chat id : f539201e-80e5-40c1-a22b-b5a501665b62
Problem : need code for tivo dvr
Warren_ > Welcome to Sony Online Support. I will be glad to assist you.
Art > hi
Warren_ > Hi,

Art > bough rm-vl1000 remote, looked through instructions, lists code for TIVO, brand=Sony and brand=Philips. What about Tivo-brand Tivo DVR?  What's the code for those?
Art > Website has neither DVR nor TIVO codes, and code listing .pdf on website is from the UK version, and TIVO is not listed at all
Warren_ > Did you purchase the unit in the US?
Art > Yes
Warren_ > Since the RMVL1000 does not have any code to control the Tivo DVR, I suggest that you use the learning feature of the DVR to control it, however you need to have the original Remote supplied with the DVR to use the learning feature. 
Art > http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl_questionmark_mdl_equalsign_RMVL1000 leads to a UK version of the component codes booklet
Art > I'm asking if YOU have the code
Warren_ > If you have purchase the unit in the US, there is no code to control a Tivo DVR with this Remote Commander.
Art > Are you assuming this, or are you 100% sure?
Warren_ > I am sorry, we do not have any code to control a Tivo DVR with the RMVL1000 Remote Commander. 
Warren_ > Yes, I am 100% sure of that. 
Art > but you do have a code to control Sony/Philips brand TIVO unit?
Warren_ > I do not have any information about the codes available with UK brand Remote Commanders. 
Warren_ > Are there any other concerns we have not covered yet?
Art > I'm not asking about UK remotes- I'm asking about American version of the RM-VL1000, bought in the United States
Art > I was just pointing out that sony support website has an incorrect pdf
Warren_ > The RMVL1000 Remote commander does not have any code to control the Tivo DVR.
Art > Does the RMVL1000 have a code to control Sony/Philips brand Tivo DVR?
Art > Does the American version of the RMVL1000 have a code/codes to control Sony/Philips brand  DVRs with TIVO software?
Warren_ > I am sorry, we do not have any code to control a DVr with this Remote Commander. 
Art > Then you don't know what you are talking about, since the booklet included with the remote lists Sony Tivo DVR and Philips Tivo DVR codes.  Can you transfer me to an agent who does know what he/she is talking about?
Warren_ > I am referring to the correct manual here, please stay online while I confirm this information for you.
Art > ok
Warren_ > The RMVL1000 Remote does not support DVRs and it does not have any codes to control a DVR.
Warren_ > I suggest that you please download the manual from our website. I will forward a page where you can enter the model number and obtain the manual. 
Warren_ > Web Page Push : http://docs.sony.com
Warren_ > Are you able to view the page?
Warren_ > Are you online with me?
Warren_ > Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support today.
Warren_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room
I was preoccupied by something else, so I got logged out of the conversation.
The conclusion to this moronic exchange will come in the next post, as I've been waiting for the last ten minutes for this Warren idiot (who I got again upon going back to chat) to "check this information for you".

Argh!

No comments: