Thursday, October 13, 2005

Google has a Sense of Humor


Founded in 1998 by Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Google is named after a term that is represented by the number 1 and followed by 100 zeros, which spells out googol.

Google is a wonderful search engine; it can return anything from locations, directions, to simple definitions. All you have to do is type your word or phrase into the search box, and click “Google Search” and within seconds you will be bombarded by hundreds of websites pertaining to your word or phrase. This is not uncommon, many search engines work this same way, but Google has something special. Right next to “Google Search” there is another button labeled “I’m Feeling Lucky.” This special button will return the first page that Google finds that pertains to your search word. This is where the real fun begins.

While the wonderful people at Webster’s Dictionary define failure as “lack of success,” Google seems to return something quite different. I am not sure whether this is on purpose or perhaps just a mere coincident, but when anyone types in failure into Google’s search box and hits “I’m Feeling Lucky” it brings up George W. Bush’s autobiography from whitehouse.gov.

Just like so many, I too have heard of the saying, “when you look up ‘idiot’ in the dictionary it has your picture next to it” I just never imagined it to be true.

As much as I love Google, this time I have to disagree with them. I’m sorry, but I do not believe George W. Bush should be associated with the term failure, if anything I think his name should me synonymous with success. Can you name anyone else who:

That is the definition of success if I ever heard one.

No comments: