Friday, July 16, 2004

Got a call from Survival Insurance Survival's Hollywood Office - note the phone #. What caught my attention was that I heard Spanish through the answering machine. Caller ID showed Unknown Name and 323-957-1049. Picked up the phone, and the following exchange took place:
Why are you calling me?
(startled) To let you know about Survival Insurance's great rates...
How did you get me name?
We are just dialing people from the directory.
You mean you are going through the yellow pages, and dialing people at random?
Yes....
You didn't buy a list of leads?
No...
Pretty bad marketing, if I may say so. Why did you speak Spanish?
Leon is a spanish name, so I assumed...
Bad assumption. Besides, Survival has some of the worst rates. CLICK!

Go to Survival website, see this little gem of a link on the "Contact Us" page:
http://www.thepathwaytohappiness.com/
It seems Survival Insurance are giving away L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology) books.
Bad Survival!!!! Let's see: blatantly violating Do-Not Call Act (federal law), by both hiding Caller ID, and calling numbers on the list; being part of an evil cult; and assuming that all people in Los Angeles are Latinos. I have no problem with Latinos (used to date one myself), but three strikes, and you are out.

Next time you get a call from a company: National Do Not Call Registry

No comments: